Thursday, May 15, 2008

Why Turkey??

Hello all,
I'm writing from NC, but by the time you all are reading this, I will already be in Turkey!! I decided make this blog a couple weeks ago, to help myself keep track of my experiences and keep everyone back home updated on what I've been up to. More and more over the past week though, as I've talked to people about my trip, my perception of this blog has changed. When I tell people I'm going to Turkey, they usually respond, with feigned excitement and interest, "Oh! Well! Good for you! So...why Turkey?" It's pretty clear from their tone or skeptical facial expression that they view Turkey as either a) some dangerous Muslim country; b) a boring travel destination; or c) some combination of the two.
As someone obsessed with history, Turkey most appeals to me on the historical level; I can think of no country on earth with a more diverse and utterly engrossing history. But Turkey is notable and important for so many other reasons: artistically, culturally, politically, and geographically, to just name a few. Over the next seven weeks, I will try to post pictures and stories here to show just why it is that I have chosen to travel to Turkey, and why visiting and studying it is so valuable and interesting. Thanks for reading, and I miss you all already!
Clayton

No comments: